What Is Desalination
Water desalination is the process of removing salt and minerals from water. The desalination process leaves water safe and drinkable for consumption.
Clean Water And Disease Prevention
Many individuals do not have access to safe, clean drinking water. This creates a cycle of detrimental ongoing effects. If basic hygiene and sanitation cannot occur, diseases can spread quickly. In addition, some water sources contain water-borne diseases, such as Cholera. By having safe and clean drinking water, the negative impacts of disease will be able to be slowed down.
How Does Desalination Occur?
There are lots of different types of water desalination. Including, solar distillation, vacuum distillation, multi-stage flash distillation, multiple-effect distillation and vapor-compression distillation.
One of the most popular types of water desalination is reverse osmosis (RO). Reverse osmosis can be defined as pushing water under pressure through a membrane separation process. The membrane allows water to pass through but retains salts and other impurities. This leaves clean, fresh drinking water available.
The Positive Effects of Desalination
- Accessible clean and safe drinking water.
- Potential to provide water to the agriculture communities.
- Water can be provided to communities in times of drought.
- Helps preserve current freshwater drinking supplies.
- Desalination can create fresh drinking water independent of changing factors.
The Negative Effects Of Desalination
- Upset and harm caused to marine environments.
- Fisherman may lose out on potential catches.
- The brine solution (super saturation of leftover salt) needs to be disposed of.
- Pre-treatment cleaning chemicals for the water needs to be disposed of.
- Desalination plants use huge amounts of power.
- Expensive to build and operate desalination plants.
- Desalination plants use high levels of electricity.
For information about our water fountain range available in South Africa, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 021 813 6631 or send us an e-mail to: email@example.com. We want to help you find the right drinking water fountain suitable for your needs.